... and back home tomorrow.
02.06.2009 - 04.06.2009
Amazing how time flies... it's been ages since my last entry. Two and a half months travelling flew by like nothing (let alone the past year...) and now I'm sitting in a wifi bar in Bangkok, having a Singapore Sling and can't believe I'm off tomorrow. Can't wait to get home to see everyone again and enjoy the long European summer nights. But I'll also miss this part of the world, which feels strangely a bit like home as well now.
Haven't written any stories while travelling cos didn't manage to get any pictures online - forgotten camera cable in Cambodia and snail-like internet speed in most places I went. So I'll do this later when back on ADSL at home...
But it was an amazing trip: 1 week northern Thailand, 3 weeks north to south in Laos, 4 weeks north to south in Vietnam, 4 days Phi Phi in Thailand and then back to Battambang for some final celebrations and many good byes.
There are too many stories to tell about all this, so just some of the highlights:
- Learned how to roast coffee in a wok on the Bolaven plateau in Laos
- got soaked with water with all my luggage in Vientiane during Laos New Year
- rode around the 4000 islands in Lao on a motorbike for 5 days
- got amazingly ripped off on the bus ride from Laos to Thailand with a ticket for a bus that didn't go to Vietnam at all but had some smuggled life tortoises, rare birds and very large geckos hidden on board (nice hour-long wait in the middle of the night on the side of a road until the smugglers managed to bribe themselves out of this...and I was the only foreigner on it!)
- fought hard to get away from the tourist craziness in Halong Bay and Sapa during a Vietnamese national holiday.
- loved Hanoi and Hoi An!
- did my first ever proper scuba dive in Nha Trang, Vietnam
- went around the Vietnamese central highlands with a motorbike guide for 4 days and finally found the Vietnam off the tourist trail.
- finally fell in love with the underwater world on an open water diving course on Phi Phi in Thailand and on my last dive there got very, very close to a Leopard shark. Beautiful!!!!
I'll add pictures for this soon. In the meantime, hope everyone is well and look forward to hooking up with lots of you soon when back in the real world. Will be in Hannover at my parents for a while until I see what comes next. A few ideas but no concrete plans, yet.
Big hug and hope to see you soon and hear your stories as well!